Thursday, July 7, 2011

sinking


This morning, kicked off the beginning of another summertime class I'm teaching (Small Bowls with Decorative Rims). It really reminded me how and why I initially became obsessed with metals as a college junior - the fun and challenge of working with and moving metal. There are endless possibilities for designs!

Sinking is such a fun and relatively immediately gratifying process and the combination with piercing allows for some really great designs. Of course, I love cold-connections and having the students just do a version of a "tab-setting" works great for beginner students. And watching the expression on student's faces when they have spent only half an hour working and now have the beginnings of a small bowl, can be priceless...especially an individual that has never worked with a lot with tools until this point.

The image above is an example of a student's finished piece when I tried this project a few semesters ago.

No comments: