Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Alrighty...I am trying to get back in the groove of featuring a different artist/maker on my blog every week or so...

Sorry about your dog

So, today I want to draw everyone's attention to a kinetic artist, Gina Kamentsky, whom makes what she calls, Mechanical Confections.

Besides her work, one of the things I love about her website is if you click on the Facts & Stuff link, she has a handful of answers pertaining to her work, background and process. For instance:
How do you create your work?
I do very little sketching before beginning a piece. I usually start with an idea about motion and progress from there by finding objects and forms that best fit together. Often one sculpture inspires the next, and I'll build a series with related functions, such as a line of penny banks or a series of pencil dispensers.

Gina's ability to collect, to react, and to mechanically resurrect these materials and objects is fantastic! The fact that some of the works are labeled with a slightly utilitarian function is even more interesting to me, seeing as that one of my favorite characteristics of the traditional craft fields is the element or mixture between utilitarian and aesthetic.

It is also worth noting that in addition to her ability to create mechanical confections, Gina also creates animated films. In fact, the most recent news on her website announces that she, "..will be headed down to the Fuller Craft Museum on September 14th to present a slew of animated film work including "Einstein's Riddle" which recently won Best Narrative Short at the Animation Block Party in New York. After the films which start at 2:00 we'll head up to the gallery area where I'll be winding and cranking up the the sculptures! This is a great chance to see Mechanical Confections in action and a fun event."

I hope some of you were able to take advantage of that opportunity; the exhibition is up until November. Perhaps someday I will have the pleasure I meeting her. Until then I will keep checking her website in hopes that I can, someday soon, afford one of her works.

No comments: