Thursday, January 10, 2013

Forged Spoons From Lowe's?...

Who knew that you can buy a handmade forged spoon from Lowe's.  Of course, it'll require you taking my Forging Spoons class at SSA.  This demitasse/baby spoon was forged from aluminum bar stock I purchased at Lowe's.  Since I did advertised that the class will have an ice cream party on the last day of class to "test" our spoons, I thought it would be nice to try out another material instead of silver, copper, or brass.  I haven't really done much surface finishing yet so it's a bit rough, but looks great already!  I think I'll have to make one for my coffee and espresso in the morning!




2 comments:

Andy from Workshopshed said...

Great spoon, do you have to keep annealing the aluminium as you are working i.e. does it quickly workharden?

Gary Schott said...

Yup. For the most part, the process was the same to me as forging a copper, brass, or silver spoon.