Tuesday, December 21, 2010

the coolest friends...

a fantastic brooch by Jillian Palone (from Jillian)...she's my artist-in-residence for the metals dept. right now.
Christian Cutler sent me this 1933 book that was reprinted to be distributed in conjunction with the exhibition, Mechanical Wonderland, which was a collection of over two hundred moving models showing all the movements used in the art and science of mechanics. Today, those of us who are mechanical motion enthusiasts, know the latest reprinted version of this book as 507 Mechanical Movements by Henry T. Brown, with an original copyright of 1868.


Last but not least, this is a little gift to myself by myself...this is a mechanical toy by Tucher & Walther and comes from a limited edition of 1,000, complete with documentation. All the toys are made in much the same way as traditional tin toys - handmade with the help of limited machinery. The painted surfaces are even done by hand. What a great little piece. I picked this one because the first mechanical object I ever made was a lumberjack chopping wood, for my 3D Design course in undergrad.

No comments: