Friday, February 20, 2009

throbbing heart brooch

Well, it's about time! This is my first new piece since I've moved to San Antonio. I've been wanting to work my mechanical explorations into wearable pieces for some time now. And I love working with aluminum! Who needs to solder?!! Aside from fabricating the hidden mechanism inside (from brass) the entire construction is made from 22 gauge aluminum sheet with tab construction. The white and red surface of the brooch is testor's model car enamel paints. And the raised circle areas were made from using fused brass wire as templates for embossing with a hydraulic press. The image is actually of the artist's proof and a small edition of these (10-15) will follow within the next few months.

Needless to say, Sarah loved her Valentine's Day gift.





While I've got you watching a video of one of my mechanical pieces, I'd like to mention that I will be teaching a two-day workshop through AMOA (the Austin Museum of Art) about simple mechanical motion, April 18-19. This is a link to AMOA's Art School (click here)